Tuesday 23 October 2007

Sound for Animation

Hey, mike here...I want to discuss sound for animation. Well, at least reflect upon the assignment "sound for picture" and give you my thoughts on the subject! There is lots of reading on sound for animation and I learnt many new terms for the techniques involved like :

VIVIFICATION
Manifest living traits in inanimate objects (scream from doormat)

HYPERBOLE
Obvious and intentional exaggeration (scream with alarm clock)

What I found interesting in looking at sound for animation was the aspect of non-human verbal communication. I found it really challenging creating these effects - and - a lot of fun! When I was recording I found it really helped to watch the animation and perform the actions of the character - this gave the sounds more expressiveness and emotion.
I also used layering techniques common in sound for picture when creating foley for the assignment. I'll refer to the definitions for an explanation. I used Hyperbole in creating my football FX which, was made up of found sound, real world and samples. I layered the sound of a football being kicked that I recorded with the sound of a spring "boing" with a white noise whoosh. Together they give a "cartoony" feel to the sound still recognisable as a football being kicked. The sound is "empethetic".
I really enjoyed the peer evaluation aspect of this assignment as it allowed me to comment critically and objectively on other animations. I also found it helped me to cement the knowlege I gained from this assignment!

Notes

Richee
Feedback- great sound mix. Synced well. Good quality recorded Foley. Sounds missing, ducks, bumps, Non diagetic sounds for cabbage worked well.

Adam
Sheep sounds good. Cartoon FX good. Unempethetic sounds…farmer! Some sounds missing. Don’t fit the genre

Kirsty
Fast pace…great music. Sound mix not great! Good FX!

Lloyd
Great sound mix. Lot’s of space. Lot’s of non-verbal communication…Good Foley ruler boing!! Polished. Non-verbal borders on human… duck sounds like pig!! Underscore? Use of tempo???

No comments: