Monday 21 April 2008

work experience week 3


This week I attended a team meeting with programming to discuss how to increase listening figures ( rajar) and how to keep the listeners we have already. Sue brooks brought up locality and it's importance within our role in the wider community. The group discussed ways in which we could achieve this aim. We came up with these ideas:- a) To attend more outside broadcasts and community events b) Use information gathered from Star Cards such as birthdays and announce them on air c) to support charities with a new initiative called charity of the month. Check out www.rajar.co.uk for more information on RAJAR.
My job in production was to come up with ways to support these ideas, we decided to refresh and update production for the notice board, an on air and online facility for the community to promote non profit and charity events. I was asked to make a promo for this. After some thought I decided to to a spoof of the A team and using the theme tune from the show i set about the task of creating the piece of production. I decided to use an American style voice over on top of the theme tune to mimic the style of the opening credits of the A team. After I had voiced the script in an american accent i had to pitch it down to sound more authentic. I used the pitch plugin in Adobe audition and pitched it down a semitone. Then I overlaid it on the A team bed. I had difficulties in getting the first half of the promo to flow into the second half which, contained the information needed to use the notice board and was more serious. After some time using fades and not getting the result I was after I decided to make the change more obvious and used the pitch plugin to emulate the sound of a turn table losing power on the A team theme tune. I felt this worked really well accentuating the fact that the promo was fun as well as factual. Then I used the voice overs voiced by our artists in bristol I completed the second half using a bed from a music CD. As a tag line I used the initiative we came up with in the meeting "Star radio, at the heart of and in partnership with the local community". I felt this piece of production followed company values of being fun and unconventional.

SCRIPT
AMERICAN VO
IF YOU HAVE A CHARITY OR NON PROFIT EVENT YOU'D LIKE ADVERTISED ON STAR RADIO, THEN MAYBE, JUST MAYBE. WE CAN HELP. THE STAR RADIO NOTICE BOARD.

FVO
ADVERTISING ON THE NOTICEBOARD COULD'NT BE EASIER. JUST CLICK ON STAR 1077.CO.UK AND FOLLOW THE LINK. WHO KNOWS YOUR AD MAY EVEN GET ON THE AIR

MVO
THE STAR RADIO NOTICE BOARD. AT THE HEART OF AND IN PARTNERSHIP WITH THE LOCAL COMMUNITY STAR RADIO

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike,

Another good Blog entry. It's good to get an insider view of the station at work and more helpful tips about audio editing. Don't forget to add some links in the Blog entry itself. Don't forget to keep the visual interest by a variety of photos and logos. Kim.