Tuesday 13 May 2008

Group project log


Hi Bloggers - Mike here!
I've been busy today editing material for the group project in final cut. Lloyd, Adam and I divided the edit between ourselves. I chose to edit the interviews. The first thing I did using a firewire cable was to take the rushes from the computer in the edit suite, which is where Lloyd captured the footage; that's the term used for transferring the footage from the camera into final cut pro. Then created a project in final cut and called it WSM Tennis Club Interviews. I skimmed through the footage separating each interview turning them into sub clips (option + U) to organize the project. Using this method I find I am able to work much quicker. The first interview I began editing was with Bob, one of the club trustees. It became obvious that I couldn't include all the material from bobs interview as it would have run for 6 minutes or so and it would have been really boring! This presented me with a problem though because I was unsure as to what information was essential and what I could exclude. I met with Lloyd and played him what I had managed to edit so far. Using a pen and paper I wrote down his suggestions and comments. One of the problems highlighted from our conversation was how uninteresting the piece was. We decided to jazz it up using on screen graphics and picture in picture sequences. I implemented the changes and have a rough cut ready to show Lloyd on friday.

You can learn more about final cut here

No comments: