Friday 14 November 2008

(MP3002) individual Project Log 9 - filming journal 12/11/08

I drove to glastonbury to begin filming on beyond the weird. Brian and I had agreed that I would film him at work making tools in his workshop. Just before I arrived in glastonbury I received a text message from brian saying he'd been called in to Chalice Well to do a cover shift. I felt quite frustrated by this partly due to my expectations on Brian that he'd already made arrangements to film with me and also in part because I had been refused permission to use the Well as a location so I couldn't film there. This is an unfortunate reality of making a documentary, even meticulous planning cannot prevent some things. I used the time that I had spare to go up Glastonbury Tor, practice with the camera and film some cutaways. I felt quite low after finding out I couldn't use the Well as a location and my first days filming going pear shaped! I called Nic who gave me some helpful feedback and suggestions on how I might proceed with the Chalice Well. He felt that they were perhaps fearful of being negatively represented or exposed in some way and that I might need to gain their trust before they'd allow me to film. I went to the Office to speak to Natasha (the manager), she was unavailable so I spoke to Ruth. I asked her if as a compromise it would be possible to take still shots for my project. My hope is that getting permission to take still shots could be a foot in the door with them. I also shot some film of Brian playing skittles in the evening at the Globe on Madeleine street. The Pub was small and badly light, some areas with fluorescent strip lights and others not light at all. This meant continually adjusting the f-stop settings on the Z1. I did manage to get some good footage, which i was quite happy about.

No comments: