Thursday 27 November 2008

(MP3002) individual Project Log 12- Location Reccy 27/11/08


I’ve had some problems recently in obtaining permission to film at certain locations around Glastonbury and I must admit this has left feeling really angry at the powers that be in the town. I mean why is it that I’m having so much bloody difficulty in finding locations to film at! To this end I decided to look further afield for places to film. I did some research on the internet in to pagan sites in the south west and discovered a stone circle only 10 miles away from Newton park in a village called Stanton drew!
The Great Circle, a henge monument is the second largest stone circle in Britain (after Avebury). The stone circle is 113 m in diameter and probably consisted of 30 stones, of which 27 survive today.

On Wednesday afternoon armed with my trusty Tomtom Elana and I set out on a Reccie to see if Stanton Drew would be suitable as a location. On arriving in the village we decided to park a little distance from the monument and walk so we might get a feel for the place. It paid off because we stumbled upon a pub called the Druid Arms! Unfortunately though it was shut so we couldn’t go in…

The stone circle was tucked away behind a housing estate and felt barren and bleak. There were bare tree’s that appeared to have been hit by lightening and many of the stones were on their sides or completely eroded. There were sheep grazing in the field one of which was using a stone as a shelter from the wind! I think Stanton Drew has potential and would make a good location for my film even if just for some cutaways and artistic shots.

information on stanton drew at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanton_Drew

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike,

This location at Stanton Drew has loads of potential if you can secure the all clear to film there. From your photos it's visually very interesting, and the trees you describe (and the one that features) are very mysterious, following the theme...

I hope you're successful with this location!

Hayley