Tuesday 3 March 2009

(CS3003) Script Writing for Television - Pitch

I felt quite anxious about starting this module. My script writing abilities are fairly limited and I wasn't looking forward to producing a TV pilot due to the sheer amount of work thats involved. I decided to turn my documentary into a script so I wrote a pitch and pitched it to the class. I'm quite lucky in some respects as I've done several pitches in the past so I knew what to expect from the experience. I also brought along some visual aids, pictures from the shoot and recounted my experiences from the project. Doug felt that when pitching an idea based in reality its important that you make the panel aware of it. He also thought that because the idea was based on reality my passion for it shone through during the pitch.

Beyond the pale
Sitcom in a Mockumentry style following Student Paul Cowling, Druid Brian Conquer, his wife Jacquie and their lodger a Witch/Druid called Nick Oxbow and their preparations for the winter solstice. (Think last of the summer wine meets wicker man!).

Characters
Brian Conquer is a 60 something retired postal worker and arch druid. He drives a green robin reliant that he calls Felicity (happiness). He smokes like a chimney. He has health problems because of this. He’s married to Jacquie who’s his second wife. Brian is slight but has a huge character and seems very genuine. He’s passionate about his beliefs, which is infectious.

Jacquie Conquer in her late sixties is Brian’s wife is a retired nurse and a Witch and according to Brian she’s the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter, which in supernatural terms makes her very powerful. Jacquie loves to dance although she has a bad back, which has given her a stoop. This prevents her from dancing too often.

Nick Oxbow is in his forties an unemployed bricklayer, who’s on the dole. He claims to be a witch and is Brian’s apprentice. He believes himself to be clairvoyant. He’s tall and surly. He takes himself very seriously. Socially he’s quite clumsy and doesn’t have many friends.

Paul Cowlings is a thirty something struggling ex addict and wiseass student. He’s Australian but he’s been living in this country for 10 years. He’s making a documentary on Brian and his friends. He’s got a very dry sense of humor. He gets on well with Brian but Nick is weary of him and doesn’t trust him.

No comments: