Thursday 19 March 2009

(MP3004) Editing Pedestrians


I have finished editing Pedestrians! It proved a real challenge, some of the artifacts captured during the recording stage made mixing the drama quite difficult. In scene two the natural reverb of the space in which the recording was made muddied the speech and the reflections colored the sound. I tried the workaround suggested (double tracking and gating but found it difficult to mix the two because of the high noise floor on the original track. Using a touch of EQ I did eventually find a mix I was happy with. I also created the musical sting for Pedestrians, which I wanted to keep simple. This music was to be used to break up scenes, I wanted the music to be ironic, whimsical, slightly comical and melancholic. I achieved this using a four chord guitar riff. In scene five the noise floor was so high that the sounds of duvets and pillows being ruffled was inaudible unless I drove the level really high but this made the noise too obvious and didn't sound good so I dropped it from the scene. In the final scene it had been suggested that when phil goes to get coffee we should hear sounds of a coffee machine. However upon listening to the scene i felt this didn't work very well. The scene suggests Phil goes far enough away to get coffee that he surprises them when he returns as we hear George say ' Here he is now'. I did however include hospital background noise, which gave the scene an authentic feel. The final task was to record the foley for the fight scene. I was fairly limited with the equipment at my disposal but one of the good points of the scene being recorded in the toilet (mimicking a cell) is that it provides sound camouflage( DID I JUST COIN THAT TERM??). I set up a mic to record Dani the technical demonstrator at ArtWorks and myself wrestling, slap our legs and faces and even punching myself in the stomach! Do I need a risk assessment for that? Finally I had a few good foley effects which i overlaid into the scene. Over all I think it works well, If I was able to do it over again, despite I would want to be present at the recording stage even if I was just observing.

No comments: