Thursday 9 October 2008

(MP3004) Creative writing Log 08/10/08


So here we are in week two of the semester! It has felt as though we've been thrown in at the deep end as far as creative writing goes, and I know that I at least have had some experience at script writing and still have a sense of inadequacy around third year creative writing students. That said, I'm beginning to feel more comfortable with the exercises that we've been doing. I have found that although my writing may not be to as high a standard as the third year students when we workshop radio plays and analyse them I have a good insight into emotion and plot.
We were asked to eavesdrop on someone's conversation as homework, which we'd then transcribe and read in class. I have to admit that I didn't do this homework and it wasn't out of laziness. I found it extemely uncomfortable being asked to eavesdrop on people, almost as if there is something really bad about doing this - or perhaps it's the thought of being caught by some angry member of the public! Maybe its some moralistic view point i have gotten from society that people have a right to privicy. If i'm honest it's probably a mixture of all the above. I will and must, find a way to override these feelings, this is an important exercise for me and has uncovered some areas that i need to work on.
I have decided that although I will be taking the second assessment option, that is my role as a producer within the creative writing class rather than the script writing assessment option. I will for my own personal development write and develop a script based on an eaves dropped conversation. After all option one involves a 7000 word eassay! who wants to do that if they have a choice.

No comments: