Wednesday 22 October 2008

(MP3002) Individual Project - initial treatment 23/10/08



After some thought, conversations with Danny and a one to one with Nic Jeune I have decided to do an observational documentary on the winter solstice for my individual project. Here is the initial treatment:

The film follows Brian Conquer, Arch druid of the Glastonbury druid grove, in his preparations for the winter solstice although should for any reason Brian be unavailable I have an alternative druid contact who’s name is Rollo a member of the same grove. We will see Brian at home during the run up to the solstice and at the event itself at Stonehenge on December 23rd. We will hear the story of Brains life as a druid and how he came to be one. It’s shot in an observational style, I will be an off camera presence interviewing Brian and offering commentary in a narrative style.

The film poses these questions…

Does Paganism have a place in modern day Britain?

Is it something we should keep alive through celebrations and rituals like winter solstice?

The connection between winter solstice and Christmas, is there one?

We see an interview with Brian Talking about the winter solstice. He gives us an outline of the festival and tells us some of the history surrounding it. We then observe Brian as he organizes the various rituals, interactions with others and the difficulties and challenges he faces before culminating in the festival itself at stone henge.

The sub plot for the film is my spiritual beliefs or search for them and how/if they fit with Paganism, my initial skepticism and my possible conversion.


This is of course an initial treatment and more for myself to sketch out my ideas than for anyone else. I have however noted the feedback Nic Jeune gave me

If I was a commissioner and you were trying to sell it to me my two questions would be who is it for and why would you chosen audience choose to watch this. A treatment is a factual report married to a energetic sell


I will post updated treatments as I anticipate this treatment will grow and evolve as the project picks up pace.

No comments: