Thursday 16 October 2008

(MP3004) Creative Writing Log 15/10/08


This morning Lloyd, Adam, Kirsty and I were to Tech op for Drama and Creative writing students - recording their scripts. I have to be honest I groaned inwardly when I arrived, There were loads of people and the equipment I felt wasn't really adequate for recording radio drama. I had bought my lap top and MBox and had planned to use that to record with. However I didn't have a mic so I went on a wild goose chase to find one! It took ages what with getting lost (still don't know my way around) and paperwork! When I finally got back the session was almost over. I hurriedly plugged in all the gear and to my horror I couldn't get it to work. I later found out the mic needed phantom power! I usually would have spotted this but I'd worked myself up into a bit of a state! Lesson learnt!
The script I was recording was set in a pub so the fact that it was quite noisy actually worked to my advantage as in a busy pub there would be a lot of noise. I did however have to ask some of the members in my group to be quiet as they were in close proximity of the recording. I felt at times some of the group members weren't taking the exercise seriously. The two actors seemed very professional and needed little direction - they also got the opportunity for quite a few read through's whilst I was off mic hunting!

No comments: