Sunday 8 February 2009

(MP3002) Individual Project Journal


I faced several challenges on the shoot this week, namely the fact that Paul was unable to attend. That added to the fact that stanton drew was a foot deep in snow made things difficult for me. My role in the filming is sound, which I am comfortable with - camera is one area i need to improve on. That said this was baptism of fire, of sorts and operating solo meant doing the sound and trying to maintain some control over Brian and Nick! I found filming in the snow, although something that is visually stunning on film, difficult to capture well as there seemed to be a fine powder mist all around us. Still at least white balance wasn't a problem! I had to make some compromises with some of the shots I wanted. It was impossible to film them walking from the front as walking backwards in the snow with no one to guide me and carrying £3000 worth of equipment just wasn't happening, I did try and tripped up on a mole hill! For that reason most of the shots were static or wide shots but this is ok, after all I only wanted a few minutes worth of footage. It was after we'd finished shooting that things started to get really interesting! We retired to the local pub, the druid arms. Brian and Nick felt the presents of some Spirits (not the alcoholic kind) in the pub! Nick went into a trance and brian began talking to the "entities" as he put it! I managed to capture some of this on film. All the locals in the pub seemed really open to Brian and Nick and asked that they return to continue their work as soon as they could. I had initially arranged with them to film the ceremony on friday 13th of february but Brian texted me to tell me a very close friend of his had passed away and that he is unsure as to when they will be able to shoot the final scenes so for now that is on hold.

No comments: