Thursday 5 February 2009

(MP3004) Editing Pedestrians

When starting to edit a project such as pedestrians it's important to set up the file structure properly ( well it is for me!). I created folders on the xsan, protools/pedestrians. After I had opened the arrange I used workspace to import the raw audio in to the project. Rather unhelpfully the audio recorder used to capture the recording only allows numbering of tracks and not naming so I had to go through and listen to each track match it to the script, name and mark it. It was time consuming in part as I didnt know how many takes there were of each scene and they hadn't been recorded sequentially, which is understandable from a logistical point of view for the recordist. Once I had done that I dragged the audio files onto the arrange. This method automatically created the audio tracks required. I decided to follow Paul Dodgeson's template and created only 2 tracks for spoken word and 3 for fx. After this I arranged the audio files in sequence and began to top and tail them adding small fades where appropriate. The first scene requires fx of a sign being dragged on the pavement, which we had a field recording of. I comp'd parts of it together and consolidated the file giving it a unique file name. I then placed the file in the corresponding part of the scene. The second foley fx required was a car sequence, police car approaching, electric window opening, car starting, electric window closing, drive away. Using pre recorded effects from a sound library I created and mixed the sequence, which took some time to get right. I did find the control surface really useful for this task. With hindsight I think I may have got a little obsessed with editing fine detail rather than getting the program working as a whole first, that probably wasn't the best use of my time. Next week I will try to avoid falling into the same trap. After all finishing touches are added at the end of a project, not at the beginning!

No comments: