Monday 15 December 2008

(MP3002) Individual Project Log 15 07/11/08 - Shoot Journal

On thursday afternoon after rushing around picking up the extra kit we needed Paul and I set out to Brian's house, which was the location for the days shoot. We arrived a little after two and before we got out of the car we went through the shot plans in my journal and primed the equipment ready to record as soon as we left the vehicle. Quite early on in the shoot I realized how difficult it was for the two of us to operate the boom, camera and present at the same time. It would have been impossible for me alone to operate all the equipment and I think on the next shoot day we wont use the boom mike. We will just use the shot gun mic and the lapel mike. I felt quite stressed out about the shoot and didn't give Paul the opportunity to set up properly - i felt I may miss some nugget of entertainment if we stopped rolling! I was also worried that Brian may get bored or annoyed but it seemed that he was more than happy to talk! This led to problems firstly because it led to Paul feeling as though he wasn't doing good work and secondly it was leaving him feeling as stressed as me. As a result we came away with footage some of which was out of focus, some under exposed and some where the white balance hadn't been set correctly. That being said there was some good footage and we will get the opportunity to re shoot what we missed. Its been a learning experience. Its important we take the time to set up properly otherwise the footage may be unusable, its also important that I take my time and get everything i need regardless of pressure from contributers because I may not get a second chance to shoot in certain locations.

No comments: