Monday 29 December 2008

(MP3002) individual Project Log 18 29/12/08 - Shoot Journal

I thought I was well organized for todays shoot. I had budgets, shot plans and even maps of locations!


View Larger Map

But today has just been one thing after another!! I arrived late for the shoot due to circumstances beyond my control. When I got there I realized I'd left the bracket for the boom mic at home. We improvised with electric tape which, as i found out later was a mistake! Most of the sound from the boom wasn't usable due to sound conduction from the pole. In hindsight I ought to have attached it to the camera instead. To make matters worse there was intermittent crackle on the clip mic that I didn't know how to sort out. I changed batteries and moved its position but to no avail. I came to the conclusion that it must be a frequency band issue but i didn't know what to do to remedy that.



Those were the issues with the sound, now on to the video! Paul had been complaining of bad light all day and that he was having to use a lot of gain. In the pub at the end of the day I was looking back through the footage when I discovered that the LCD backlight was set to low thus causing the viewfinder to appear dark. Its so disappointing. We worked so hard all day in the freezing cold and maybe only a few minutes of what we shot is usable, maybe not even that! This is a set back I certainly can't afford both in a financial sense and from a time scale point of view. Below is the budget for todays shoot.



On the positive side though we got to meet Brian's apprentice Nick who has agreed to contribute along with Mary Brian's wife to the film. I have signed contributer forms from them. Also we have learnt more about the camera including how to assign the white balance gain to one of the shortcuts making it easy to adjust white balance on the fly. Paul and I will return to glastonbury on wednesday to film Brian doing some normal stuff like shopping and visiting friends. I think this may help show the juxtaposition of his two personas. Brain Conquer, Arch Druid and Del-Boy, Husband and Local Chappie!

No comments: