Tuesday 6 January 2009

(MP3001) enterprise project - group meeting 05/01/09

First day back after the new year. It was nice to see everyone again. We kicked off the morning by discussing the pro's and con's of the media industry. Why had we chosen follow the career paths that we had. This topic of conversation has come up often since I began my degree. The media industry is notoriously difficult to break into, and often badly paid! That is unless you are Chris Moyles or Jonathan Ross. It took me three years of unpaid work before I got a break in radio. I made tea, photocopied and went on lunch runs for ages before I came anywhere close to getting on air! And if you want to know what the money is like in commercial radio, tough I'm not telling you!



The pro's of working in media are things like contacts, reputation and technology. Technology such as the internet has led to a creative explosion. Websites like youtube give film makers like me the opportunity to showcase work to millions. I personally have made some great contacts through work experience and my job at Star Radio. UKRD have a good reputation as does Bath Spa. I work hard and have some great qualities, I have a good reputation. Of course there are cons to the media industry.Recession, Competition, Relocation. We are in a global economic recession and as a result the industry is shrinking. People are tightening heir belts. Jobs within the industry are notoriously scarce. There's a lot of competition out there. And, the jobs there are seem to be in london, which means relocation.
We also discussed group projects. I gave the group an update on the EGG project. I'm still waiting for Phil Purves to return my call. I emailed him this morning re: our meeting on thursday. Hopefully he'll get back to me soon, i'd like to meet before I go on holiday. We also talked about a new brief for bristol council here's the email detailing the project.


Video introduction to Environmental Noise and Citizenscape

The Brief:

A short (~10 minute) video, formatted for the web to encourage citizens to contribute to a website (online forums, blogs, wiki's) which is focussed on the issue of traffic noise. By using the website and generating content, citizens have an opportunity to help to reduce traffic noise as the website will be used to help develop an action plan. One way of drawing people to the site is to ask them to think about their favourite quiet space and to use put a marker on an online map and then upload multimedia to the map, e.g. a vox pop of them explaining why they like the park. This is being developed at the moment. A similar approach has been used at www.bristolstreets.com for the cycle survey.
The target audience at the moment is "hard to reach" communities in South Bristol, especially around Knowle West.


The video needs to convey the key messages while being engaging and fun.

Key messages:

* Traffic noise is widespread, annoying and unhealthy
* People can use the website to help reduce traffic noise in their area
* People can find out about traffic noise issues on the site - legal, health, science and how new developments in Bristol will affect noise
* People can see how noisy it is where they live by looking at the noise map for Bristol
* People can influence decisions that affect their area, especially on green space and transport

My last conversation is that as it is a film that plays on opening the new website it may be more interesting to have three X 90 second films in rotation/

Best

Nic


We threw around some initial ideas and agreed to discuss it at length when more members of the group are present. We also got an update from Nic on the website, which still isn't ready and proberbly wont be for at least another week or two. I filmed the meeting and will post a short clip soon.

No comments: