Tuesday 6 January 2009

(MP3002) individual Project Log 19 05/01/09 - Shoot Journal


Today Paul and I returned to Glastonbury for the first shoot of the new year. I'd had some issues with the sound, especially the clip mic, which had caused me lot of problems - crackle and interference! I decided to trouble shoot the kit so when Paul came over in the morning I pinned the clip mic to his Lapel and tested it out. It appeared to work fine. We checked the camera and, happy the kit all work fine we made our way to Brian's house. We intended to visit Trevor Jones at his shop, the Cats cradle but first we wanted to go back to Wearyall Hill to see if the thorn tree had blossomed.



Paul and I spent half an hour setting up the kit, which seemed to be working ok. I was on the Boom and Paul on Camera. I wore the headphones so I could monitor sound. This meant I had to stay very close to paul as the lead was very short. It worked to our advantage because when I asked a question Brian would look towards the camera rather than off to the left or right of shot. This makes it look as though I'm filming and that he's talking to me. I realized to my horror that I was still having problems with the Clip Mic, I was completely at a loss as i thought I'd fixed the problem and couldn't understand where the problem was coming from. It was demoralizing and added to that that Cats Cradle was shut and Trevor no where to be seen, I decided to wrap up the shoot for the day. I was really disappointed with the sound but luckily I'd recorded two channels of audio one on the clip and the boom on another and the sound from the boom had come out well! This way of working proved to be my saving grace. Had I used only the Clip mic none of the footage would have been usable. This would have been a shame as we had some beautiful shots.

No comments: