Friday 9 January 2009

(MP3002) individual Project - trouble shooting kit

As you may have gathered sound has been a real issue for me on the shoot, the lapel mic in particular, a real bugbear! On the shoot last week despite my efforts to plan and trouble shoot it the lapel mic wasn't performing correctly. I called Dani Landau and arranged to take the kit into paint works to trouble shoot it with him, I was convinced i'd done everything possible but Dani was sure i'd missed something! When I arrived at paint works Dani and I set the kit up exactly as I had done on the shoot. Dani's suggestion was to work backwards and eliminate each possibility before moving on to the next. We ruled out the boom as the problem then we quickly ruled out interference from mobile devices and frequency issues, which left us with only one thing. Noise from clothes and Brian's beard. I was amazed at how I could have missed it but then I assumed that the mic was built to withstand that type of interference! Once we had sorted out the issues I'd been having with the sound we moved on to talk about logging and capturing and how to manage projects within final cut properly. I am notoriously messy so the information was very helpful to me.

No comments: