Sunday 11 January 2009

(MP3002) Individual Project Log 19 07/01/09 - Shoot Journal

Now some people might think I've become slightly obsessed when it comes to my project and i'll be the first to admit I write a lot of blog entries, but I find it helps me clarify my thinking. Armed with our kit and a load of contributor forms Paul and I went to the Mitre Pub in glastonbury to film Brian's Moot (pagan for meeting). I wasn't sure what to expect, i didn't know whether there would be many people there or not. Brian hadn't said too much about it to me. It was suggested to me to place a notice at the entrance stating that we were filming the event and giving a brief synopsis of the project. The room in which the meeting was held was long and narrow. Not everyone is as comfortable in front of the camera as Brian so in order to be as unobtrusive as possible we set up the camera in the far corner of the room and placed the boom mic on a chair. There were five people at the meeting they all signed contributer forms but I could sense they didn't trust me. Brian hadn't at first it took time to build up. Nick, Brian's apprentice bought to the meeting an item that affected the project. He said he'd been in contact with the coven from Stanton Drew and that they didn't want us filming there! There ensued a lively debate between everyone on where we should have the ceremony if not at stanton drew. I got drawn in. I realize now that I was being quite stubborn about it, i was angry at Nick though as I felt he was hijacking the project. In my stubbornness and anger I couldn't see how genuinely uncomfortable they were at the prospect of filming at Stanton Drew. My behavior led them to believe that I wasn't taking them seriously as I found out when I watched back part of the tape where paul and I had left the room! This got me thinking. What did I think of their way of life, what was I hoping to find out, was I looking to ridicule them or present their beliefs in a balanced way? Add to this my fondness for Brian and I'm left with an ethical dilemma. I'm inclined to stick with my original treatment "an affectionate human interest film on Brian". He is a lovable eccentric, which is how i'll portray him. After all when a contributer signs a consent form what are they really consenting to and what are my responsibilities as a film maker to my contributors? And who would want to see a film where someone was ridiculed for half an hour. It would get pretty boring and I expect the viewer would draw the conclusion that I'm a bit of an asshole! That is not what I want. I called Brian to tell him I took his views and beliefs seriously and that I was happy for him and his friends to hold ceremony wherever they want, i don't want them to feel uncomfortable. After all if they pulled out i'd have no program.

No comments: